1st Marple Scout Group is an extremely popular and successful group. It is normal for each of the Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Explorer Scouts sections within the group to run at full capacity. This policy explains how prospective members are given priority and how to join a waiting list. All sections in 1st Marple Scouts follow this policy.
Please note that not everyone on the waiting list can be offered place.
Marple Scouts has more young people wishing to join than we have places available. If you live outside of Marple you may be best contacting Stockport Scouts in the first instance via: email@example.com to ask about local Scouting provision near you.
Our Admissions Policy
New members are selected from the waiting list when places become available, according to the following criteria (in this order):
- Children who are moving up from lower sections (such as Beavers to Cubs) due to age.
- Children of uniformed Scouting leaders in 1st Marple Scouts.
- Change of night requests WITHIN 1st Marple Scouts (such as Monday to Tueaday Beavers).
- Children whose home address is within Marple.
- The year of birth of the child and the length of time they have been on the waiting list.
- Children transferring from other Scout Groups.
Children will generally join and move-up to the next section at the beginning of the term (September, January and April) following them reaching the minimum age for the section.
How to join our waiting list
All enquiries for membership must be made via the respective section contacts below. Requests made via Scout Headquarters or the Marple Scouts website will forward enquiries to the contacts below.
Please join the waiting list based on the current age of your child…
|Age 0 – 8||Beavers (start from age 6)||alison.fletcher @ stockportscouts.org.uk|
|Age 8 – 10 ½||Cubs||carvercubs @ gmail.com|
|Age 10 ½ – 14||Tuesday (Kinder) Scouts
Thursday (Cobden) Scouts
|andy.spreckley @ stockportscouts.org.uk
cobden @ marplescouts.co.uk
|Age 14 – 18||Monday Explorer Scouts
Wednesday (Combs) Explorer Scouts
|adam.ollier @ stockportscouts.com
joe.ward @ stockportscouts.org.uk
|Age 18+||Become a Leader||1stmarplescouts @ gmail.com|
What to tell us…
- Your name
- Your email address
- Your telephone/mobile numbers
- Your child’s name
- Your child’s date of birth
- Your child’s home address
- Any additional needs we need to be aware of
- Any preference for days/sections (can’t be guaranteed)
What happens next…
- You will be contacted by the Section Leader.
- If no place is immediately available, then the Section Leader will provide the opportunity for you to place your child on the waiting list.
- You have three weeks to formally advise the Section Leader that you would like your child to be placed on the waiting list
- If no communication is received within this timeframe, then no further action will be taken by the Section Leader.
For clarity until the Section Leader confirms your child is on the waiting list then they are not.
If and when a place becomes available…
- You will be contacted by the relevant Section Leader.
- If your child does not get a place in the first section (such as Beavers) then they will remain on the waiting list and be considered for the next section (in this case, Cubs).
- Your original date of entry onto the waiting list will be preserved.
Please note that casual conversations with Scouting Leaders, or even seemingly formal agreements, regarding getting children on waiting lists are not relevant or valid. The only way to place your child on the waiting list is to make contact as stated above.
Keeping your place
Good attendance, behaviour, prompt payment of fees and support of fundraising activities are the expectations for continued membership.
Should a parent or guardian wish to appeal against a decision, they can make a case to the Group Scout Leader (1stmarplescouts @ gmail.com) whose decision as per the Policy, Organisation and Rules of the UK Scout Association will be final.